One of the oldest and most successful forms of therapeutic treatment for pain and chronic disorders, acupuncture is based on the theory that health depends on the delicate balance and normal flow of Qi (energy) throughout the body. If the flow of Qi in a person’s body is disturbed, aggravated, or blocked, emotional and mental distress or physical illness and pain often result. The treatment consists of inserting disposable, hair-thin needles into points at various locations of the body, respective to the meridian lines that are affected. The needles act to stimulate energy flow and restore the body’s qi to a balanced state and are left in for 15 to 30 minutes while the patient relaxes.
What to Expect
Generally speaking, acupuncture should not be painful. You may feel a dull ache, perhaps a feeling of electricity or tingling, a sensation of heat or cold, or it may just feel strange.
Sometimes you can feel Qi running up or down the body or a limb. The acupuncturist may manipulate the needles to achieve better treatment results, and you may experience a vague numbness, heaviness, tingling or dull ache. Occasionally, you may feel like you have been stung by a bee. This should pass almost immediately and does not have any lasting sensation. If it doesn’t, tell your practitioner right away so they can adjust or remove the needle. Occasionally, you may feel a throbbing ache, which may also be somewhat uncomfortable, especially if you are being treated for a chronic condition. At no time, though, should you have any sensation that is beyond your tolerance level. If you do, let your practitioner know right away. The fact is that the vast majority of clients report that, after a while, they begin to feel a real sense of well-being.
How is Acupuncture Beneficial?
- When performed correctly it is safe
- There are very few side effects
- It is a very effective combination treatment
- It is effective in controlling some types of pain
- It may be considered for patients who do not respond to pain medications
- It is a useful alternative for patients who do not want to take pain medications
- Balances the body’s energy and re-establishes of homeostasis by removing stress
- Boosts the immune system to promote optimal health
How can Acupuncture help you?
- Headaches & body pain
- Muscle & joint problems
- Depression & emotional disorders
- Weight loss
- Digestive & gastrointestinal disorders
- PMS, endocrine imbalances
- Morning sickness
- Edema Skin conditions
- Asthma & respiratory disorders
- Immune deficiency
- Circulation problems
- Tennis elbow
- Plantar fasciitis
- Rheumatoid arthritis