How Does Hot Stone Massage Help You?
Hot stone massage is most effective for people suffering from:
- Back pain and aches
- Poor circulation
- Osteoarthritis & arthritis pain
- Stress, anxiety and tension
- Depression, Insomnia
About Hot Stone Massage
A hot stone massage is a specialty massage that uses smooth, heated stones. They are often basalt, a black volcanic rock that absorbs and retains heat well. It is a deeply soothing, relaxing form of massage. The heat helps tight muscles release.
Treatment: What to Expect
The massage therapist often begins by applying oil to the body, which allows the hot stones to glide smoothly along the muscles. You are lying face down, and the massage therapist often then uses the hot stones to massage the back.
After the hot stones have relaxed the muscles, the massage therapist may put down the stones and use his or her hands to directly massage the skin.
The hot stones may then be placed back on to the body and left for a short period of time. You will then asked to turn over onto your back. The massage therapist may place small hot stones between your toes or in the palm of your hand and repeats the sequence.
Note: Hot Stone Massage is Not for Everyone
Hot stone massage is not recommended for:
- People with infectious skin disease, rash, or open wounds
- Immediately after surgery
- Immediately after chemotherapy or radiation, unless referred by your doctor
- Anyone with a nervous system disorder involving a decreased in sensation